Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Photos from the past...ATC's and Dominoes










I love looking at photographs from the past. I have several CD's full of vintage photos that I can use for art projects and peruse for inspiration. Seeing these wonderful images reminded me that my mom has dozen of old photo albums of her family. This summer I'm hoping to go through all of the photos and scan these cool images of my very own ancestors.


When I've needed to break up the monotony of scanning I've taken some of these familiar faces and put them to good artistic use. My mother and her little brother, along with their cat, made a nice simple ATC. The second ATC on the upper right was a a practice at working with my Adobe Photoshop Elements software. It took me an hour to figure out how to merge a background photo, and the image of my mom (from a separate photo) into one! Then to put the focus on the Lil' Cowgirl I colored her clothes with artist chalks.
The next project was to make decorative dominoes.

Using a template size for a domino 1" x 2", I moved several photos of my Grandparents onto the template. Printed them out, then cut the templates out, added adhesive, then a quick spray of Workable Fixatif, and then gold leafed the edges. I love the heftly feel of the dominoes and the nice little clicking sound they make when they brush up together. I like to display them on flat surfaces around my craft room where I have a chance to admire them as I move about.




No comments: